What is going on in our science class: Genetics! - momgineer

What is going on in our science class: Genetics!


Thank you to Teachers are Terrific for hosting this fun science link up! Be sure to head on over to see what everyone is doing in their science classes this week:
http://teachersareterrific.blogspot.com/2015/02/what-is-going-on-in-your-science-class.html

 
This past week we have been studying genetics! First, we did a fingerprint lab. We all captured our fingerprints on tape after rubbing them in pencil scribbling.This was a great active way to show we were are all unique!


Our second genetics lab focused on traits we inherited from our parents. As homeschoolers of my own biological children this lab works really well. If doing this with a group of other kids, I would definitely use clip art and/or images of other people to be respectful of the many different types of families. We looked at seven different traits, such as the ones shown below:


I am really loving the science book we have been using, so I thought I would mention it. It's just right for my first and third grader:

 R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey (Life)

Thanks again for the link up! I can't wait to read all the posts.
momgineer Meredith Anderson

STEM education is my passion!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, Meredith, for linking up with my blog! I am so excited to see Science teachers joining in to celebrate science with me! When I taught third grade we did a study of fingerprinting and kids had to use fingerprint data to solve a pretend crime. They always loved it! Thanks again!
    Carol
    Teachers Are Terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! We use to do fingerprinting when we used one of the old FOSS kits...I can't even remember which one. I wonder how I can add this again...kids LOVE it! I can't wait to check out other ideas!

    Renee at The Science School Yard

    ReplyDelete